Review: My Favorite Mistake by Chelsea M. Cameron

Pub. Date: August 27th, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin
Paperback
400 pages

Cameron has an insane ability to pull you right into her novels. Her novel Deeper We Fall is by far my favorite read of the year, and My Favorite Mistake is definitely top 10. As Cameron’s novels begin to take the ‘traditional’ publishing route, I’m preparing my ears for the squeals of joy as more readers discover her excellence.


Taylor and Hunter first connect like a punch connects to a face. Nothing could surprise Taylor more than her new roommate being a smooth talking, guitar-playing dude. Instantly rubbing her the wrong way, Hunter seems to have the innate ability to make Taylor uncomfortable and bring out the worst in her – a trait that leads to him gaining some significant facial bruising. Hunter, out of rooming options makes Taylor a deal – by the end of the semester, if she can truly make him believe that she either loves or hates him, he’ll move out. Rooming with a guy is just as awkward as you would expect, but Taylor and Hunter learn that opening up about the struggles they’ve dealt with in the past, may just be the thing that can bring them together.

What a book. There’s romance, suspense, fantastic character-development, and pure entertainment. Like Cameron’s Fall and Rise series, the depth of the storytelling and the growth of the characters is superior. The only negatives I will say is that while I was fully invested in Taylor and Hunter’s relationship, I would have liked just a little more tension – there’s really no doubt where their relationship is going. But, you fall in love with the characters as much as they fall for each other, so knowing it will end well isn’t a bad thing. The ending was also a little too idyllic for my liking - but if my assumption is correct, the ending will act as a great jumping off point for the rest of the series.

While romance-wise Taylor and Hunter’s relationship may be predictable, the things the two ultimately reveal to each other are anything but. I really liked the pacing of their relationship. From learning about their annoyances, eccentricities, likes, and then pasts, every conversation is not only organic, but entirely realistic. Taylor started off a little strong for me – I don’t have much respect for someone who punches a virtual stranger in the face out of irritation – but the more you get to know her and the things that she has gone through, the more you understand her initial discomfort with Hunter. In my opinion what Cameron excels most at is creating real characters. She breaks the mould, shying away from typical romance stereotypes, creating extremely compelling, flawed, and loveable characters, and she does this while tackling some really tough subjects. So much of what make me fall in love with Cameron’s characters is how they help each other overcome the heartbreaks and difficulties they’ve had to face. With their humanness – the struggle and heartbreak – being just as significant to who they are, as love and happiness becomes.

I can’t praise Cameron enough. If you love solid storytelling, with compelling and well-developed characters, then you will love Cameron’s novels.

Rating 9/10 (Without the punch in the face, it would be a 10)

Side Notes:
-         *  If the waiter Will is Fall and Rise’s Will, I can sure get behind more crossovers going forward!
-          * While it’s a great romance cover - who are those people? Show me one non-Hollywood 18/19 year old with abs like that.
-         * Finally, this novel is probably for a more mature crowd – theirs significant discussion of violence, abuse, and sex that may be too heavy for some readers.

** I received a copy of this novel from the publisher to read and honestly review. I was in no way compensated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment