Review: Love Overdue by Pamela Morsi


Pub. Date: August 27th, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin MIRA
Paperback
432 pages


Every once in a while I get the urge to read a pure love story. That is what I expected Love Overdue to be – a love story. And don’t get me wrong it is - but it’s not only a romance love story, it’s also a love story about a town.

Hired as the new Librarian in small-town Verdant Kansas, from her clothes to her tightly wound bun, DJ Jarrow is intent on living up to the Librarian stereotype. Her strict control stems from one moment of humiliation as a teenager when she allowed herself to just let go. Eight years later, DJ is faced with a different type of humiliation – small town gossip. Worst of all, rumors start spreading that DJ was really hired because the head of the library board was hoping for a bit of matchmaking between DJ and her son Scott. Much to DJs dismay, the son – Scott Sanderson, happens to be the source of her humiliation years before. Waiting for the day Scott is able to figure out why she seems so familiar, DJ actually starts getting to know the adult Scott, and she’s forced to question if the Scott she built up in her head, reflects the real Scott. Intent on building a life in Verdant, DJ has to get past the past, and learn to live her present and her future for more than just her job.  

I will be the first to admit that I was probably irrationally in love with this novel because as a Librarian myself there were so many little library details that just made me smile. From DJ naming her dog Dewey/Dew after the creator of the Dewey Decimal system, to Dewey Decimal style chapter headings, and all the Library talk, I couldn’t help but love DJ and appreciate how much she loves her job. But, my favorite part of the novel was DJ. Sure she keeps herself controlled to the point of almost annoyance, especially in her personal life, but she knows who she is, she’s very open to other people, she’s non-judgmental, and she’s completely devoted to her new life. To me she represents a real person that I thoroughly enjoyed reading about, and appreciated being able to relate to. The secondary characters were truly the icing on the cake for me. They were thoughtfully created, and from the recluse, to the full on hostile library employees, all of the characters were realistic, full, hilarious, and entirely loveable.

The overarching theme throughout the novel is that you never really know the whole truth about a situation, and you never really know what someone is going through, until you take the time to ask. I found the twists and turns in the storyline, though entirely unexpected, compelling, effective, and always true to the overarching theme. This novel was a really entertaining and cute read, with so much more substance than the synopsis gives it credit for.

Rating 8/10

I received a copy of this novel from the publisher to read and honestly review. I was in no way compensated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment